Wise Monkey - Arabica Coffee Leaves
Finca La Aurora, Matagalpa, Nicaragua
A fascinating addition to the menu, this botanical was created by Finca La Aurora farms in Nicaragua due to the coffee harvesting season falling too short for their workers. Harvesting the coffee beans usually only made for three months of employment for the year. So in order to increase their hours, they decided to harvest and process the coffee plants' leaves like a tea! This gave the workers another three months of employment, thankfully.
The Wise Monkey is a coffee leaf herbal made from the Arabica varietal. It has less caffeine than tea on average, has a light vegetal earthy flavor like a green tea, tastes absolutely nothing like coffee, and was processed like a oolong, so it's partially oxidized!
- Use 7g (≈1 tbsp) of leaf per ½ liter (≈17 oz) of water.
- Use boiling (100°C/212°F) water
- Steep for 4 minutes, strain leaves, and enjoy!
- Don't forget to try for multiple infusions! Just add time to each steep.
- For under 2:00 steep times, add 30 sec.
- For 2:00 to 4:00, add 1 minute.
- For over 4:00, add 2 minutes or more.
- Like milk in your tea? Steep an extra minute!
- Too strong? Take off a minute, or use 5g of leaf instead!
- Too light? Kick it up another minute, or use 10g of leaf instead!
- Wanna do a tea latte?
- Use 11g (≈1½ tbsp) of leaf per ½ liter (≈17 oz).
- Steep 2 minutes in ¼ liter (≈8 oz) boiling (100°C/212°C) water
- Add ¼ liter (≈8 oz) hot milk, steep another 3 minutes.
- Strain leaves, add sugar if you like (1 tsp usually does it), and enjoy!
- Nicaraguan Matagalpa Arabica coffee leaves
We are a small independent operation, and as such we operate inside of our retail space, the Phoenix Pearl Tea Tavern in Red Lodge, MT. We bag teas for orders while also serving in-store customers, including making cups of tea, making food, and selling bulk and retail purchases. Our employees work as quickly as they can, but we don't have a warehouse to operate out of with dedicated employees. As such, orders may take anywhere from 1-5 business days to ship. Thank you for understanding.