Thorn Strike - Cinnamon-Scented Oolong
Loku, Nantuo-District, Taiwan
Like a barb straight from nature, this oolong packs something a bit unexpected. You know how jasmine green tea is made? Where they lay the green tea out on drying racks during processing, then lay jasmine petals on top of the leaves to let them naturally scent, and change the petals out every hour? Well for this, they took a tung ting oolong, rolled it, fired it, all that, then, before they dried, put the leaves in a crate with equal parts cinnamon chips by weight, shook it real good, left it for a week, and sieved out the cinnamon.
As a result, the leaves have a scent throughout of the cinnamon they were stored with, but have no actual cinnamon present in the tea! It's a subtle flavor, tasting like a traditional tung ting oolong, nice and green and vegetal, but with this underlying flavor of cinnamon. The nice thing, though? It's present in every single steep. You can still taste the cinnamon after the fourth steep!
Get this one while the getting's good, as it won't last. It was a small batch, and once we've sold our stock, it's gone!
- Use 7g (≈2 tsp) of leaf per ½ liter (≈17 oz) of water.
- Use 80°C/175°F water
- Steep for 3 minutes, strain leaves, and enjoy!
- Don't forget to try for multiple infusions! Just add time to each steep.
- For under 2:00 steep times, add 30 sec.
- For 2:00 to 4:00, add 1 minute.
- For over 4:00, add 2 minutes or more.
- Like milk in your tea? Steep an extra minute! (This tea's pretty delicate, so be careful putting milk in it, it will dilute the flavor).
- Too strong? Take off a minute, or use 5g of leaf instead!
- Too light? Kick it up another minute, or use 10g of leaf instead!
- Wanna do a tea latte? This one's pretty light, but you can sure try!
- Use 11g (≈1½ tbsp) of leaf per ½ liter (≈17 oz).
- Steep 2 minutes in ¼ liter (≈8 oz) boiling (100°C/212°C) water
- Add ¼ liter (≈8 oz) hot milk, steep another 3 minutes.
- Strain leaves, add sugar if you like (1 tsp usually does it), and enjoy!
- Taiwanese Nantuo Tung Ting oolong tea (scented with cinnamon chips)
We are a small independent operation, and as such we operate inside of our retail space, the Phoenix Pearl Tea Tavern in Red Lodge, MT. We bag teas for orders while also serving in-store customers, including making cups of tea, making food, and selling bulk and retail purchases. Our employees work as quickly as they can, but we don't have a warehouse to operate out of with dedicated employees. As such, orders may take anywhere from 1-5 business days to ship. Thank you for understanding.