Temperence - Root Beer Herbal
Long ago, in the 1920's, the United States issued an amendment to their constitution saying that alcohol has become illegal. This obviously worked great.
In this time, the temperance movement grew large, proclaiming that this is good for everyone, that alcohol brings out our more basic human instinct and brings down society as a whole. It was in this time that breweries, to survive the ban, either produced in secret and sold through back channels, or switched product to appease the temperance movement and the generally law-abiding citizens. Out of this movement, root beer grew exponentially in popularity.
To this day, root beer remains a massive part of common society, drank by people of all ages. Typically made from sarsaparilla roots, sassafras leaves, vanilla bean, and spices, we decided there was no good reason not to make this a tea. The result is the Temperance Root Beer Herbal. Using a red rooibos base, it has a pleasant tabacco-y undertone to compliment the sassafras and sarsaparilla, with creamy vanilla overtones. It likes sugar, but doesn't need it!
Try it as a latte; it's like a root beer float! Teamaster Gwen suggests either vanilla soy, or a very strong steep with Half 'n' Half.
- Use 7g (≈1 tbsp) of leaf per ½ liter (≈17 oz) of water.
- Use boiling (100°C/212°F) water
- Steep for 4 minutes, strain leaves, and enjoy!
- Don't forget to try for multiple infusions! Just add time to each steep.
- For under 2:00 steep times, add 30 sec.
- For 2:00 to 4:00, add 1 minute.
- For over 4:00, add 2 minutes or more.
- Like milk in your tea? Steep an extra minute!
- Too strong? Take off a minute, or use 5g of leaf instead!
- Too light? Kick it up another minute, or use 10g of leaf instead!
- Wanna do a tea latte?
- Use 11g (≈1½ tbsp) of leaf per ½ liter (≈17 oz).
- Steep 2 minutes in ¼ liter (≈8 oz) boiling (100°C/212°C) water
- Add ¼ liter (≈8 oz) hot milk, steep another 3 minutes.
- Strain leaves, add sugar if you like (1 tsp usually does it), and enjoy!
- South African red rooibos
- Wild cherry bark
- Spanish carob
- Organic Chinese licorice root
- Blackberry leaf
- Natural extracts
We are a small independent operation, and as such we operate inside of our retail space, the Phoenix Pearl Tea Tavern in Red Lodge, MT. We bag teas for orders while also serving in-store customers, including making cups of tea, making food, and selling bulk and retail purchases. Our employees work as quickly as they can, but we don't have a warehouse to operate out of with dedicated employees. As such, orders may take anywhere from 1-5 business days to ship. Thank you for understanding.
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I had just recently used up my last order of your Sarsaparilla tea, for which Temperance is the new version. I really enjoyed the strong root beer/sassafras-like flavor and aroma of the old tea. The new tea strikes me as weaker in both areas. The old tea would literally fill the room with its aroma.