Level 0 - Traditional Genmaicha
(Steamed Japanese Green Tea w/ Toasted Rice)
Makinohara, Shizuoka, Japan
Genmaicha has a long and storied history in Japan. Originally made by the poor of the country, genmaicha was a way to turn a 1 month stock of tea into a two month stock. They would take whatever grade of tea they could afford, typically a bancha, and blend it down with toasted rice kernels. This way, the tea would last them longer, and add to the nutritional content of the drink. This also benefited people fasting, as the rice in the tea gave it a fuller body and a heavier weight, making them feel fuller. These days, it's drank my all members of society as just another interesting way to prepare your Japanese green tea.
The Level 0 Traditional Genmaicha is named for its "Peasant Tea" roots, as a peasant or commoner is typically "Level 0" in just about any given RPG. It's a great introduction into the world of genmaicha. There's a lot of varieties out there, so anyone testing the waters could find themselves easily overwhelmed. Ours is smooth, full in body, and a great example of a traditional rice tea. It goes down easy, has a rich aroma, and tastes just like a genmaicha should. Make sure to watch the water temperature on it, though; boiling water will make this tea bitter.
- Use 7g (≈1 tbsp) of leaf per ½ liter (≈17 oz) of water.
- Use 80°C/175°F water
- Steep for 2:30, strain leaves, and enjoy!
- Don't forget to try for multiple infusions! Just add time to each steep.
- For under 2:00 steep times, add 30 sec.
- For 2:00 to 4:00, add 1 minute.
- For over 4:00, add 2 minutes or more.
- Like milk in your tea? Steep an extra minute!
- Too strong? Take off a minute, or use 5g of leaf instead!
- Too light? Kick it up another minute, or use 10g of leaf instead!
- Wanna do a tea latte?
- Use 11g (≈1½ tbsp) of leaf per ½ liter (≈17 oz).
- Steep 2 minutes in ¼ liter (≈8 oz) boiling (100°C/212°C) water
- Add ¼ liter (≈8 oz) hot milk, steep another 3 minutes.
- Strain leaves, add sugar if you like (1 tsp usually does it), and enjoy!
- Japanese Shizuoka steamed green tea
- Japanese toasted rice kernals
We are a small independent operation, and as such we operate inside of our retail space, the Phoenix Pearl Tea Tavern in Red Lodge, MT. We bag teas for orders while also serving in-store customers, including making cups of tea, making food, and selling bulk and retail purchases. Our employees work as quickly as they can, but we don't have a warehouse to operate out of with dedicated employees. As such, orders may take anywhere from 1-5 business days to ship. Thank you for understanding.