2017 Houjicha Assam - Roasted Indian Green
Chota Tingrai Estate — Tinsukia, Assam, India
Green tea from India is hard enough to find, but we got an unusual type of green tea to boot. Houjicha is one of the most recent varieties of green tea, developed first in the early 1920's in Kyoto, Japan, and it persists to this day as a cult favorite among green tea drinkers. Rather than pan-frying or steaming the tea, like usual, they instead oven-roast the tea, resulting in a tea with less astringency, deeper flavor, and in general less caffeine.
Our Houjicha Assam Roasted Indian Green takes that formula and runs with it. Grown on the Chota Tingrai family estate south of Tinsukia in far northeastern Assam, India, the Houjicha Assam takes a bancha-grade green (lower grade tea with both tea leaves and tea twigs mixed together) and oven-roasts it just enough. This process gives us a final product unlike any other houjicha. Deep toasty notes result in nutty overtones and a boosting of the malty textures in the tea. That combined with the single-estate sourcing gives us one of our favorite green teas to grace the shelves.
Remember to watch the water temperature on this one! Houjicha is forgiving, but even so, boiling water can scorch the leaves, resulting in a more bitter cup of tea.
- Use 7g (≈1 tbsp) of leaf per ½ liter (≈17 oz) of water.
- Use 80°C/175°F water
- Steep for 2 minutes, strain leaves, and enjoy!
- Don't forget to try for multiple infusions! Just add time to each steep.
- For under 2:00 steep times, add 30 sec.
- For 2:00 to 4:00, add 1 minute.
- For over 4:00, add 2 minutes or more.
- Like milk in your tea? Steep an extra minute!
- Too strong? Take off a minute, or use 5g of leaf instead!
- Too light? Kick it up another minute, or use 10g of leaf instead!
- Wanna do a tea latte?
- Use 11g (≈1½ tbsp) of leaf per ½ liter (≈17 oz).
- Steep 2 minutes in ¼ liter (≈8 oz) boiling (100°C/212°C) water
- Add ¼ liter (≈8 oz) hot milk, steep another 3 minutes.
- Strain leaves, add sugar if you like (1 tsp usually does it), and enjoy!
- Organic roasted Indian Assam green tea leaves & twigs
We are a small independent operation, and as such we operate inside of our retail space, the Phoenix Pearl Tea Tavern in Red Lodge, MT. We bag teas for orders while also serving in-store customers, including making cups of tea, making food, and selling bulk and retail purchases. Our employees work as quickly as they can, but we don't have a warehouse to operate out of with dedicated employees. As such, orders may take anywhere from 1-5 business days to ship. Thank you for understanding.