2019 Highlander - First-Flush Darjeeling
Glenburn Estate — Darjeeling, West Bengal, India
This is the March 2019 picking of this incredible Darjeeling tea from Glenburn Estate. It's lighter than any black tea you'll otherwise encounter, as the leaves are the earliest, freshest leaves you can get. This year's batch is stouter than last year's, holding up to boiling water, and while keeping its grassy, smooth, bold, non-astringent flavor, also picks up a touch of pepper-y flavor in its complex taste.
Glenburn Estate was started by a Scottish tea company in 1859, but has now been in the Prakash family for four generations. The estate is 1,875 acres (with 700 under tea), and produces 275,000 pounds of tea per year. They are located at 3,200 feet altitude and get 64-79 inches of rain per year. Glenburn employs 893 permanent workers, plus temporary workers during the picking season.
We suggest not making this one with any milk or sugar, and not as a latte. It's very delicate, so the flavor won't quite hold up in our opinion.
If that's how you like it, though, drink away! We absolutely will not shame you; we're not here to judge, just to provide a delicious product. There is no wrong way to drink tea, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
- Use 7g (≈1 tbsp) of leaf per ½ liter (≈17 oz) of water.
- Use 80°C/175°F water
- Steep for 1:00 — 1:15, strain leaves, and enjoy!
- Don't forget to try for multiple infusions! Just add time to each steep.
- For under 2:00 steep times, add 30 sec.
- For 2:00 to 4:00, add 1 minute.
- For over 4:00, add 2 minutes or more.
- Too strong? Take off 30 seconds, or use 5g of leaf instead!
- Too light? Kick it up another 30 seconds, or use 10g of leaf instead!
- ETP-Certified Indian Darjeeling black tea
We are a small independent operation, and as such we operate inside of our retail space, the Phoenix Pearl Tea Tavern in Red Lodge, MT. We bag teas for orders while also serving in-store customers, including making cups of tea, making food, and selling bulk and retail purchases. Our employees work as quickly as they can, but we don't have a warehouse to operate out of with dedicated employees. As such, orders may take anywhere from 1-5 business days to ship. Thank you for understanding.