2017 Glowstick - 1st-Flush Iccha Kariban
Kagoshima, Kyusu, Japan
Grab your glowsticks and pull on your furry boots, 'cause this tea is rave-a-licious!
... alright, that was a bit of a stretch. The tea is, like, neon green, so gimme a break.
The Glowstick is an Iccha Kariban, which is a fancy term for not-quite-a-sencha. You know how Matcha can only come from Tencha-grade Japanese green tea, otherwise it's "Tea Powder?" Or how Pu-Erh can only come from the Pu-Erh region of Yunnan, China, otherwise it's just Shu or Sheng "Dark Tea?" Well this is sorta like that.
Sencha can only come from the very top three leaves, called the "Two Leaves and a Bud." Those two leaves, prepared the right way, can be steamed into a sencha. If it's any other leaves on the tea bush, it's an Iccha Kariban. The Glowstick is a first-flush, which means it's the first picking of the year, and it comes from the same bushes as a sencha. It tastes almost identical to a top-grade sencha, very grassy, very strong, and needs almost no steep time at all.
Try this one out, watch the steep time carefully, and make sure your water isn't too hot, 'cause boiling water will make this tea a miserable experience. Get everything right, and you'll be bopping right along.
- Use 7g (≈1 tbsp) of leaf per ½ liter (≈17 oz) of water.
- Use boiling (100°C/212°F) water
- Steep for between 45 seconds & 1 minute, strain leaves, and enjoy!
- Don't forget to try for multiple infusions! Just add time to each steep.
- For under 2:00 steep times, add 30 sec.
- For 2:00 to 4:00, add 1 minute.
- For over 4:00, add 2 minutes or more.
- Too strong? Take off 15-30 seconds, or use 5g of leaf instead!
- Too light? Kick it up another 15-30 seconds, or use 10g of leaf instead!
- 1st-Flush Japanese Kagoshima steamed green tea
We are a small independent operation, and as such we operate inside of our retail space, the Phoenix Pearl Tea Tavern in Red Lodge, MT. We bag teas for orders while also serving in-store customers, including making cups of tea, making food, and selling bulk and retail purchases. Our employees work as quickly as they can, but we don't have a warehouse to operate out of with dedicated employees. As such, orders may take anywhere from 1-5 business days to ship. Thank you for understanding.