2016 Wetlands Estate - Shu Pu-Erh Brick
Pu'er City, Yunnan, China
When it comes to Shu Pu-Erh, you know you're getting something quality. These are bacterial cultures used for hundreds of years at play. Elegant, ancient-growth tea leaves oxidized and fermented by cultures cultivated for ages. That kind of quality costs good money most of the time. We, however, found an absolute gem for a killer price.
This traditional 357g Beeng Cha brick is only $35, and has all the bold, killer flavor you look for in a shu pu-erh. It's deep, super earthy, wet, somewhat musty, and has notes of wood. Tea Master Gwen personally finds it reminiscent of a dilapidated mansion in swamplands, a former plantation being reclaimed by the mire. It has prevalent notes of earth, humidity, rotting wood, & bell peppers, making for a wholely unique, incredible pu-erh experience for a wicked deal.
- Break 7g of leaf off the brick per ½ liter (≈17 oz) of water
- Break chunks into several smaller chunks
- For both of these steps, consider using a pu-erh knife to break the chunks, or use your fingers for the smaller, more manageable pieces.
- Use boiling water
- Steep for 1:30, strain leaves, and enjoy!
- Like milk in your tea? We might not suggest it here, but steep an extra minute or two and try it out!
- Too strong? Take off 30 seconds, or use 5g of leaf instead!
- Too light? Kick it up another 30 seconds, or use 10g of leaf instead!
- Make sure to steep several times! This one goes easily 5-6 rounds, just add 30 seconds or a minute with each subsequent steep.
- Fermented Chinese Yunnan pu-erh shu tea
We are a small independent operation, and as such we operate inside of our retail space, the Phoenix Pearl Tea Tavern in Red Lodge, MT. We bag teas for orders while also serving in-store customers, including making cups of tea, making food, and selling bulk and retail purchases. Our employees work as quickly as they can, but we don't have a warehouse to operate out of with dedicated employees. As such, orders may take anywhere from 1-5 business days to ship. Thank you for understanding.