2014 Charred Harvest - Houji Genmaicha
Shizuoka, Chūbu, Japan
This tea is a variation on Hojicha, an oven-roasted tea. After the leaves & stems are aged over a period of four years, they're roasted and mixed with toasted rice (a style called Genmaicha, usually done with steamed green tea), producing a light, smooth, toasted taste with a wonderful aroma.
- Use 7g (≈1 tbsp) of leaf per ½ liter (≈17 oz) of water.
- Use 80°C/175°F water
- Steep for 2 minutes, strain leaves, and enjoy!
- Like milk in your tea? Steep an extra 30 seconds or a minute!
- Too strong? Take off 30 seconds, or use 5g of leaf instead!
- Too light? Kick it up another 30 seconds, or use 10g of leaf instead!
- Wanna do a tea latte?
- Use 11g (≈1½ tbsp) of leaf per ½ liter (≈17 oz).
- Steep 2 minutes in ¼ liter (≈8 oz) boiling (100°C/212°C) water
- Add ¼ liter (≈8 oz) hot milk, steep another 3 minutes.
- Strain leaves, add sugar if you like (1 tsp usually does it), and enjoy!
Roasted Japanese green tea, & toasted rice.