2020 Ancient Wisdom - 1st-Flush Aged Sencha
Fukuoka, Kyūshū, Japan
This medium steamed Sencha is made with leaves from 100-year-old bushes, picked 3-5 days into the first flush harvest, then aged for six months. The Ancient Wisdom is has a deep, grassy, earthy tone to it that makes it a delight to sencha fans, and something new in its long aging process. This tea is how sencha tasted long ago, according to the grandmother of the grower.
- Use 7g (≈2 tsp) of leaf per ½ liter (≈17 oz) of water.
- Use 80°C/175°F water (Be very aware of the temp on this one, it's incredibly sensitive)
- Steep for 45 seconds, make sure to watch it, as this one will oversteep quickly, then strain leaves, and enjoy!
- Don't forget to do multiple infusions! This one goes easily four rounds. Just add time to each steep.
- For under 2:00 steep times, add 30 seconds.
- For 2:00 to 4:00, add 1 minute.
- For over 4:00, add 2 minutes.
- Too strong? Take off 15-30 seconds, or use 5g of leaf instead!
- Too light? Kick it up another 15-30 seconds, or use 10g of leaf instead!
- Steamed Japanese sencha green tea
We are a small independent operation, and as such we operate inside of our retail space, the Phoenix Pearl Tea Tavern in Red Lodge, MT. We bag teas for orders while also serving in-store customers, including making cups of tea, making food, and selling bulk and retail purchases. Our employees work as quickly as they can, but we don't have a warehouse to operate out of with dedicated employees. As such, orders may take anywhere from 1-5 business days to ship. Thank you for understanding.