2014 Amaterasu - Fermented White Pu-Erh Brick
Fascinating, both novel and tasty. The Amaterasu is a fermented Yunnan white tea from Pu'er Village fermented in the traditional style of Pu-Erh, but kept white, never broken, fried, or oxidized. It comes out smooth and sunny, very much like a baimudan, but with interesting undertones of earthy Pu-Erh. At the affordable $35 price point for a full 357g brick, this one's a solid option for any curious!
- Break 7g of leaf off the brick per ½ liter (≈17 oz) of water
- Break chunks into several smaller chunks
- For both of these steps, consider using a pu-erh knife to break the chunks, or use your fingers for the smaller, more manageable pieces.
- Use 75°C/165°F water
- Steep for 4 minutes, strain leaves, and enjoy!
- Don't forget to do multiple infusions! This one goes easily three rounds. Just add time to each steep.
- For under 2:00 steep times, add 30 sec.
- For 2:00 to 4:00, add 1 minute.
- For over 4:00, add 2 minutes or more.
- Like milk in your tea? We might not suggest it here, but steep an extra minute or two and try it out!
- Too strong? Take off a minute, or use 5g of leaf instead!
- Too light? Kick it up another minute, or use 10g of leaf instead!
- Fermented Chinese Yunnan pu-erh white tea
We are a small independent operation, and as such we operate inside of our retail space, the Phoenix Pearl Tea Tavern in Red Lodge, MT. We bag teas for orders while also serving in-store customers, including making cups of tea, making food, and selling bulk and retail purchases. Our employees work as quickly as they can, but we don't have a warehouse to operate out of with dedicated employees. As such, orders may take anywhere from 1-5 business days to ship. Thank you for understanding.